Burnaugh Law Office, Mount Gilead, Ohio (2007)
• Attorney at Law. Practice involves all areas of general practice and litigation including, but not limited to, estate administration,
Wills and advance directives, foreclosures, evictions,
collections, and domestic law.
Hickson Law Office, Mount Gilead, Ohio (2006)
Associate. Practice involved all areas of general practice and litigation including, but not limited to, estate administration, collections, real estate transactions, tax preparation, and domestic law.
Weston Hurd Curley Patterson & Bush L.L.P., Columbus, Ohio (2006)
Curley Patterson & Bush L.P.A., Columbus, Ohio (2000-2006)
• Associate. Practice focused on subrogation recovery on behalf of insurance carriers and their insureds, civil defense litigation throughout the state of Ohio, general insurance coverage analysis and litigation, and appellate advocacy work including oral argument and filing amicus briefs before the Ohio Supreme Court.
Franklin County, Ohio Court of Common Pleas, Columbus, Ohio (1999-2000)
• Staff Attorney for the Honorable Judge James O’Grady and the Honorable John Bender. Managed the Court’s civil docket by: drafting civil decisions for both judges; preparing jury instructions in criminal cases; and conducting pretrial conferences.
Ohio Department of Transportation, Office of Chief Legal Counsel, Columbus, Ohio (1997-1999)
• Legal Intern. Managed administrative claims filed against ODOT in the Ohio Court of Claims by determining defense strategy and settlement decisions; also researched issues and drafted documents on the Chief Legal Counsel’s behalf.
Attorney General of the State of Ohio, Transportation Section, Columbus, Ohio (1998)
• Legal Intern. Researched the implementation of policies being considered by ODOT and provided assistance to counsel litigating eminent domain cases.
Capital University School of Law, Columbus, Ohio (1996-1999)
Degree: J.D. 1999
Graduated cum laude with a g.p.a. of 3.216 out of 4.000
Ohio Northern University, Ada, Ohio (1992-1996)
Degree: B.A. in criminal justice and sociology 1996
Graduated with high distinction with a g.p.a. of 3.60 out of 4.00
Gilead High School, 1992 graduate
Burnaugh previously worked for Robert C. Hickson, Jr. while
studying criminal justice and sociology at Ohio Northern
University. The two remained in contact while Attorney
Burnaugh attended Capital Law School and worked in the
government sector as a legal intern in the Attorney General's
Office and the Ohio Department of Transportation.
passing the bar, Attorney Burnaugh assisted Judges James O'Grady
and John Bender as a staff attorney in the Franklin County Court
of Common Pleas. Having the responsibilities of preparing
rulings for the court's consideration in both civil and criminal
matters, this position provided Attorney Burnaugh with the
opportunity to interact regularly with judges and court personnel.
there, Attorney Burnaugh went to work for several years with a
Columbus law firm with a statewide civil practice. She not
only tried cases as a civil litigator, but also became well versed
in handling probate matters, evaluating insurance issues, and
arguing appellate cases on a variety of issues at all levels of
the judicial system.
September 2004, Attorney Burnaugh had the honor of returning to
Morrow County to argue before the Ohio Supreme Court during its
off-site program. The Morrow County Bar Association
President at that time was Robert C. Hickson, Jr. who had
coordinated the Supreme Court's visit to Mount Gilead.
However, it was pure coincidence that Attorney Burnaugh's case was
one of the matters chosen to be heard. The venue
inadvertently gave Attorney Burnaugh a home field advantage since
Hickson, family members, former teachers and members of the
community were present in the courtroom showing their support.
Admitted to practice in Ohio and United States
District Court for the Southern District of Ohio.